on 11/21/03 3:30 PM, Marten van de Kraats wrote:

>Why should one want to use appletalk when running mac os 8.1 on the
>client machine? Appletalk is an inferior protocol that should be
>avoided when you have the alternative of IP. The only reason I am
>using it is because of my laserwriters being appletalk only and my
>personal server (fanless LC running AppleShare 3) also not being able
>to share via IP.

AppleTalk is not an "inferior" protocol at all. It is designed for
simplicity and convenience on a local area network, and does the job
quite well. TCP/IP never matched the convenience of AppleTalk on a LAN
until Apple recently introduced Rendevous. Modern servers and clients
support AppleShare over IP, which provides the convenience of finding and
logging into servers using AppleTalk, then actually transferring data
using IP for higher throughput.

http://katsmacs.blogspot.com/