On Nov 22, 2003, at 10:53 pm, Marten van de Kraats wrote:

Appletalk is a network protocol and not an application, while Appleshare IP is an application (server software to be precise) and not a protocol.
The application Appleshare IP not only handles tcp/ip connections over ethernet, but also appletalk connections over ethernet. BTW it also supports tcp/ip and appletalk over localtalk. And all of this simultaniously if needed.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I think I have AFP and AppleShare IP mixed up :-D.

And while we are at it: in which way is the appletalk protocol more versatile than the the tcp/ip protocol? Maybe in recognizing hardware in the sense that it can see a printer on the network instead of having to be pointed towards it first? I've heard they used appletalk technology in the development of rendez vous (the automatic recognition of third party peripherals by Mac OS X).

I said AppleTalk was more versatile than AppleShare IP (what I actually meant was the AFP protocol) not TCP/IP itself. TCP/IP is god. It's so good, and commonplace, even Microsoft had to impliment a corrupt and bent interface it in Windows :-)

As I admitted in earlier mail: the 7100cx is a nubus mac and totally obsolete and therefore more or less within the scope of this list.

And so you should ;-)

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
MSN - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.68kmac.com>

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix