Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:02:53 -0800
From: John Niven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks to Desert Fox, Harbourmaster, and Mark Benson for your

 I've successfully used FWB RAID Toolkit on my 840av. I built an array
 using 2 8GB U160 drives hangin' off a Jackhammer. I'd do it again but
 I struggle to find anywhere to put the Boot drive (on the internal
 bus) as the 840av only has 2 drive bays!

Ah! When I started this project I imagined having the two wide HD's on the 68 pin cable of the Jackhammer on their own. I was hopping to create a striped volume, then put a system folder on it, and be able to boot from this striped volume. I thought that would speed up the system. Is this never going to be possible (you say you needed a boot drive)?

This should be completely possible, barring bugs in HDTK. As I recall, version 3.x had some kind of problem wtih Adaptec controllers and RAID, but I never heard of a problem with the NuBus JackHammer.

I too have created a bootable RAID using a NuBus Jackhammer, but I also used RAID Toolkit from FWB rather than HDTK. One RAID had four Seagate ST32550W drives on a IIci and another had two ST32550Ws and two ST32550Ns on a PCC Power 120. The two Ws were on the JackHammer and the two Ns were one each on the narrow built-in SCSI busses.

Your problem does indeed sound like an issue with termination or cabling. However, another thing to look for is whether you've set the RAID volume as "automount" and "bootable" using the appropriate utility. FWB changed this need and the utility at some point, but I think it was still in a separate app from the main HDTK app in version 3.x.

Also, make sure that no drives are supplying termination power. The JackHammer card supplies term power and I know from experience (the ST32550 RAID) that having multiple drives supplying it can cause a problem.

One thing slightly off the exact topic. You won't see much performance with a RAID of ST15150 drives. They're slow--about 4 MB/s in real world performanc. I bet you'd get about 6 maybe 7 MB/s sustained performance out two of them in a RAID.

A single drive of a more modern vintage could supply close to the 20 MB/s potential of the JackHammer. But, that might cost money of course...

Jeff Walther