On 4-Mar-04, at 11:24 AM, Haroldo Mauro Jr. wrote:

Hi, I need help with the following:

I started the computer from a floppy. It didn't see the internal HD. I tried several times. It acknowledged the presence of another "large volume connected" by presenting me a message that said I needed a 68040 or PowerPC processor in order to mount a volume larger than 4G, even though the HD's capacity is 2G only. Any ideas?

Thank You
hmauro

Hi:

I am wondering whether the 520 Meg hard drive which you removed from the external case and put into the IIsi is now no longer properly terminated. It's possible that its SCSI termination was being controlled by the circuitry in the external case. It is not always easy to just look at a hard drive and see the SCSI terminators, as they take different forms. One thing you could try, though, would be to remove the 2 Gig external, attach a short SCSI cable to the SCSI port on the back of the Mac, and then insert a SCSI terminator block (there may be a spare one already attached to the back of one of your two external hard drives) to that cable. If this results in the internal hard drive now being mountable, it would suggest to me that the internal hard drive does not have proper internal SCSI termination.

With regard to 2 Gig hard drive, my thought is it should certainly work. In fact, for a time I was quite taken with upgrading IIsi units to their maximum capacity and I found a brand of 2 Gig hard drive that I really liked for this application. It was really thin, and slipped in nicely. However, I think I may have found that these hard drives, when put into a Macintosh environment, could not be formatted or partitioned using Apple software utlities like Drive Setup or Disk First Aid and, instead, I had to use a third party utility like SilverLining to set them up.

Another thought is whether you might need a specific version of the Apple OS in order to read a 2 Gig hard drive. I am a bit foggy in that regard...maybe others can help out.

Keep in mind that, at the same time as I was installing these hard drives, I would have been maxxing out the RAM. Not sure that should have any bearing, though.

Good luck!!

Jim Foster
Courtice, Ontario, Canada