HI Grant and Kimber,

Grant, I know you've posted about this before -- that you were not
able to get Looktel Money Reader working even with sighted help -- but
I'm frankly baffled.  As I recall, you now have an iPhone 4S, right?
I've tried this app out with an iPhone 4 on US, Australian, and
Canadian dollars, and Euros and pounds, and it has picked up all of
them.  I don't have the newer Canadian bills to test, but I know that
other users, including some like Sieghard who had problems using the
first international update with these bills, use the current version
successfully.

Apart from having your camera lens blocked by the hole in your case,
or a dirty lens, the only thing I can think of is having an
incompletely downloaded app, which you might try deleting and
downloading again.  You do know, don't you, that some of the older
iPhone 4 cases that can fit the iPhone 4S may have holes for the
camera lens that aren't large enough to let all the light through?
You can still take pictures, it's just that you're not using the full
area of the camera lens, which will cut down on the amount of light
and quality of the images. If this is the case, you'll find that the
app works when your iPhone is taken out of a problematic case.

With the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, the Looktel money reader app
should even try to turn on the flash if there is insufficient light,
but with an iPhone 3GS you need to check the light level before you
use the app.  I usually check light level first with the Light
Detector app anyway.

Try holding the bills flat in your left hand with the iPhone on top of
the stack, and lifting the iPhone directly up about 6 inches from your
palm.  (If you're left handed, use your right hand for the bills, and
lift the iPhone with your left hand.)  For a more detailed description
of instructions, see my archived post on using the Looktel Money
Reader app in the Mail Archive pages for the mac-access list:
• Using LookTel Money Reader for the first time [was Re: Strange
behaviour with money reader.]
http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access%40mac-access.net/msg07238.html

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther