Well, it doesn't really matter whether all iPhones are created equal or not. They all carry the Apple logo, and you'll never find anything anywhere from Apple that says only some iPhone 11's are supported and others are not. This may make it more difficult for Apple to track down the root cause, but the burden is still on Apple to ensure their software works on all supported devices.

On 10/13/19 10:09 AM, richr...@gmail.com wrote:
In a way, what you seem to be implying is that Apple does not have total
control over its products. If that is true, that is a rather disconcerting
state of things. I've lost sound a number of times, and I can't imagine how
this bug slipped by Apple, and if Apple indeed does not control their products
i.e. two iPhone 11s are not the same, that is truly unfortunate!

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of M. Taylor
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:51 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: To Upgrade or not to Upgrade, that is the Question

Hello Carolyn, et al:

You know, I've been puzzling over this ever since I updated my 8 Plus to the
latest version of iOS and purchasing an iPhone 11; both having never lost
VoiceOver as the result of any activity.  With the rare exception of some
VoiceOver display bleed-through errors, described in previous posts, I never
use any of my Apple devices without VoiceOver and yet, try as I may, I cannot
reproduce the loss-of-VoiceOver glitch with or without earphones, of any type,
attached.

Did you know that not all iPhones are created equal?  There are several
different models referred to by the same device name.  Also, in the United
States at least, the type of carrier used can, in fact, have an impact on
device performance.  For example, several years ago there was a VoiceOver
display driver bug that only affected certain iPhones sold by certain
manufacturers.  Moreover, if memory serves, iPhones older than the 7 series
would have 1 of 2 different modems installed, based on certain factors.  My
point, regardless of the name used, not all iPhones are identical, in terms of
hardware.

Again, at present, this is just a guess as Apple never admits to hardly
anything until it has been resolved but I suspect that those having this
problem, or the reverse, those like me, who are not having this problem, can
attribute it to the device type that is being used.

For example, and again, this is just a guess so don't take issue, I make it a
practice to pay full price for SIM-free models of any Apple device, only.  The
SIM-free model is one that is generally sold outside of the US but can, upon
request, be purchased inside the US, as well.

I was told, by an Apple employee, that all iPhone 11 series phones are now
SIM-free unless the purchaser elects not to pay full price for the phone, up
front.  I do not know how true this is as I am certain that when one purchases
a device directly from a carrier, the device is most certainly not SIM-free.

While I am certain that Apple will resolve this loss-of-VoiceOver issue, the
fact that it even exists suggests to me that they did not or could not
anticipate this problem on their in-house models, said models most likely being
the purist of the pure where software and hardware installs are concerned.

Mark