Dwayne,
Did you find the place in the VoiceOver braille settings where you can adjust
which braille table is being used?
And, no one can easily get to the status bar with any keyboard.
You just have to touch the screen until they fix it.

Richard
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner