Sieghard and All:

I want to keep Pass Code so it is available when needed and not totally disable it.

I think 3 people have said that it is not a good idea to have the phone powered off most of the time as I have been doing and I want to try having it locked when I'm not using it to save the battery. I thought powering off when it isn't being used was saving the battery.

I set it to never lock when I first got the phone months ago and I forget where I did it. I've spent hours this afternoon and tried the word lock in the settings app. I found one result for lock and never and there were several time periods in minutes and I double tapped on 5 minutes as an experiment. It's been much longer than 5 minutes and my home screen is still talking. I don't know if I missed a save button or if I'm misunderstanding something. Could you please help me out and give the proper location and time period to choose for the way I use the phone?

I'm doing better with what I think is manual locking and the screen doesn't talk and I can press the home button and speech resumes. It's been a long day and I'm confused since I don't understand your saying "I personally am not one of those and want my phone to lock relatively quickly after I use it" since it went silent on me almost immediately.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Hello Margaret,

As I already said in my previous email, you have to have a passcode as backup
for Touch Id and you cannot unlock your phone after it was turned off with
Touch Id, only the passcode will work here.
Another place where only the passcode works is if you want to go back into
Settings > Touch Id and Passcode so even if you decide you want to turn off
Touch Id/passcode, you do have to enter it in order to get into that area of
settings.

Only you can know if you want to leave your phone open/unprotected. I assume if
you kept it mostly at home, you don't have sensitive information on it and you
don't plan to use Apple Pay then you could disable passcode/Touch Id.

As for the automatic locking of the phone that again is your preference. There
are others on this list who prefer to lock their phone manually by pressing the
side button, I personally am not one of those and want my phone to lock
relatively quickly after I use it because the more it is unlocked the more
battery is used up. But then of course I have about 80 apps on my phone and use
it constantly for anything from checking the time and the weather to checking
email, sending and receiving text messages to doing online banking and using a
variety of home automation devices like smart thermostats for my home and
business, I have video cameras and a monitored alarm system at my business and
have apps for that and I have video doorbell and cameras at home. Even if I
don't actively use my phone I probably am listening to an Audible book while I
am walking to or from work, at night before I go to sleep and so on. I never
counted how often I use my phone each day, but I guess it must be at least 1 to
3 or 4 times an hour so over the course of a day I'd aay probably anywhere from
40 to 60 times when I grab my phone and unlock it to do something.