Hi Bill,

Josh gave a good explanation on how to select a different voice. I just
wanted to add that this method works fine, but it will not change your
default voice and if you do a reboot of your device it will default back to
your country's default voice. You also will not be able to use an HQ voice
if you change your voice with the rotor as the only HQ voice you can have at
this point is your default voice.
For example, if you are in the US or Canada, the US English Voice, Samantha,
is your default voice. You can go ahead and change it to, as an example, the
Australian English voice, Karen. Karen will then speak until you either
change it again with the rotor or do a reboot of your phone and it will be
the compact voice, not the HQ voice of Karen.
The only way to change your default voice is to change your Region in
Settings, General, International. If you changed your region to Australia
this should download Karen's HQ voice if you are connected to WiFi and it
can take some time. However, I tried this once and even after a full day it
still hadn't downloaded for some reason and it also brings along some other
potential issues with date formats and so on. It may work, but it's not a
good solution and as I said, hopefully I am not the only one who wrote to
Apple asking them to allow at least 2 HQ voices and allow a user to change
the default voice without having to change region.