Hi David.
Actually, the Braille Sense will connect in iOS 5.0, but not 5.1.
Also, even in 5.1, it will still connect, but you will not be able to
use any of the input keys for commands. It will only function as
displaying the first 32 cells of whatever VoiceOver is reading. Unless
the firmware  version 7.0 has made it so that you cannot connect to
5.1 at all? I was running the prior firmware version when I ran in to
snags with 5.1.
Thank you for the word of warning about the Spring Board, it's good to know.

Scott

On 1/17/13, David Chittenden <dchitten...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I have stated several times, crashing the springboard has a slight chance
> of corrupting some data. Use at your own risk. Apple does not officially
> support the procedure, and blocked it when VO is not running. I suspect it
> working when VO is running was an oversight that is low on Apple's list of
> things to correct considering how few people use VO.
>
> Unfortunately, the proper reboot/warm reset of holding the power and home
> buttons for 10 seconds has a small chance of causing VO to reset in to the
> off position and reset three press home to no action. This necessitates
> using either iTunes, or a sighted person, to start VO again. In my testing,
> I found this deactivation of VO to occur around 10% of the time, and is only
> the case in iOS 6. It works perfectly in iOS 5.
>
> As for Braille Sense, Braille Sense will not connect in iOS 5, no matter
> what you try.
>
> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
> Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 18/01/2013, at 9:21, Scott Davert <scottslistm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To answer your question about what exactly the spring board reset
>> does, all I can tell you is that I've had this issue with braille
>> devices giving the error of not being able to load the driver, and it
>> has fixed them. It will not wype any data or settings. Sorry, I'm not
>> exactly sure what it technically does, I just know it works for me.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On 1/16/13, David Chittenden <dchitten...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If you are running iOS 6, there is a small chance that performing an
>>> official Apple reboot, holding in the home and power buttons for ten
>>> seconds, will cause Voice-Over to turn off. If this happens, you will
>>> need
>>> to either have a sighted person activate Voice-Over for you, or activate
>>> Voice-Over using iTunes.
>>>
>>> Pressing the power button rapidly six times when VO is running causes
>>> the
>>> springboard (the user interface) to suffer a fatal crash which forces