Hi Krister,

David posted instructions just yesterday, I have pasted them below. Maybe
they will help, but David also points out that it is apparently relatively
straight forward for a sighted person, so maybe ask a friend or family
member to figure it out and then show you. I haven't received mine yet
although it should come soon, so until I do I can't help myself other than
to forward you David's explanation:

When set up properly, the StandScan Pro creates a nice box which is decently
stable. It took me about half an hour to figure out how to unfold, open, and
lock it in position. I can now do it much more quickly.

1) Lay the closed package flat with the flap face up.
2) Open the flap.
3) open the central piece by unfolding it straight down from the flap.
4) Flip out the two side flaps. One side unfolds twice.
5) At this point, the bottom is the rectangle with three attachments. The
back is the attachment that does not have an opposite side. If the back is
away from you, the top is the rectangle all the way to the right. If you
have the Pro version, the top has the LED light bar and the power chord on
it. On all pieces except the bottom, there are magnets which are in areas
with fold lines. The two magnets on the bottom are for locking the StandScan
closed after folding up.
6) When opening, the fold in the back segment is straightened.
7) Find the fold creases on the left side panel. There is one on each side
when the panel is brought to vertical. Eventually, you will fold both flaps
to 90 degrees. The creases contain the round magnets on the left panel.
Note: the same is true for the right side panel.
8) Bring the back panel and the left panel to vertical. The back crease in
the left panel folded to 90 degrees means the magnets in the fold section
match up with the magnets in the back left side. When connected together,
You have a firm connection for two sides and the bottom.
9) Fold the back crease on the right side flap to 90 degrees. This will
allow the right side to slide in front of the back side so the magnets on
the right side connect with the back; just like the left side connects with
the back.
10) Bring the top up and over the top of the box. make sure the back flap on
the right side comes in front of the back side. When the magnets connect,
the box is now rather sturdy.
11) Before connecting the top, make sure the chord for the LED lights is in
the small groove for it on the left back side top corner.
12) Fold the flap on the top that extends beyond the back down so its
magnets connect with the magnets on the back.
13) Fold the left and right front side flaps 90 degrees into the box. In
other words, these flaps fold the same direction as the back flaps.
14) Fold the top flaps on the front and left sides down so they connect with
their corresponding side magnets.

When done properly, you have a container that provides a stable shelf to
place your phone on for taking images for OCR. The round hole for the camera
is in the middle of the box. It is your job to place the phone so the camera
is properly aligned. I make sure the side of my iPhone is the same distance
back from the front edge of the box along its entire length. The LED lights
are all the way across the back of the box, when open, so light is spread
evenly across the page being scanned. Note: if you are still unable to make
the box stand, have a sighted person set it up and then show you. Visually,
it is straight-forward to set up.

Finally, a note on the material. The website clearly states the StandScan is
laminated cardboard. This means, cardboard with a thin film of plastic
bonded to it. Only the outside of the box has the plastic film on it. This
did not make sense to me until I remembered that plastic is nice and shiny
reflective. Such reflectivity inside the box can cause glare, which might
wash out the print image. Cardboard, on the other hand, causes defuse light,
so the text image will be much clearer.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288