Hello List,

Requesting a refund for an app which turns out not to work with Voiceover
has come up a few times and the iTunes Store support email has been posted
in connection with that. So I thought I post my recent experience with
contacting iTunes Store support via their email.

I had bought a couple of package tracking apps in order to find out which
one I liked best. I have been using Track This which is awesome, but I am in
Canada and for some reason they don't support Purolator and CanPar which are
both major carriers here. I contacted Track This support twice and never
received a reply.

Anyhow, back to iTunes Store support. I provided all the information
including order numbers, purchase date, my Apple Id etc. I explained how I
really enjoyed my iPhone and the fantastic accessibility, but that
unfortunately these two apps I purchased were not voiceover friendly and
there was no Light version offered which I could have tried first. I also
mentioned that I contacted both developers and after almost a week had not
received a reply. In short, I was friendly, explained everything and even
waited to see if the developers would reply to see if they were willing to
make Voiceover improvements.

I received a prompt reply in which the agent explained that all app sales
are final, but that given the situation they would refund me the $6.72 or
whatever it was for the 2 apps. However, she also continued to give me links
as to their terms and conditions and said that this was a one-time curtocy
and that in the future they could not provide any more refunds and that it
was up to me to make sure I didn't turn on one-click ordering and accidently
purchase apps or read the app description to be sure it was what I wanted.
It was strange because all of this gave me the impression this person did
not at all get the point about Voiceover and all that, but on the other hand
she said they would give me a refund given the situation. According to what
she said I should see the refund back on my account within 48 hours and
since both apps were purchased using store credit it would come back as
store credit. This is now 2 weeks ago and I replied twice to the initial
message to explain that I still had not received the credit and I am getting
no more replies.

I guess what I want to say here is that those who have done this and
received refunds are lucky, but it appears one should definitely not count
on getting a refund even if an app turns out not to work with Voiceover. I
certainly will not buy an app again thinking I might as well try it because
if it doesn't work I can always ask for a refund.