Greetings. The KNFB Reader app is on my to-buy list later this month,
around that holiday where we exchange gifts and such. Anyway, another
way to get around the cost is to tell your friends and family that you
are collecting gift cards. Even if I get several gift cars that only
add up to $50, my cost of the app will be cut in half. Of course, if I
get gift cards that add up to the entire cost of the app then that
would be even better. Also, should I fall short in my gift card pile,
I have thought about cashing in my credit card's cash back option,
which currently sits at around $86.

Another option for reading restaurant menus is to see if the
restaurant has an app. Of those that do, they often have their menus
within the app. I got the Steak 'N Shake app not long ago and found
the whole menu, divided up into different categories, and which listed
product information and pricing if I went down far enough.

As mentioned before, not all menus will scan well. I was talking with
my wife this weekend about scanning menus, and I mentioned that
perhaps I can scan the menu, save the file on my phone, and build up a
collection of menus for restaurants we go to regularly. This would
save time when deciding what to get since I would already be familiar
with the menu. And, in the event that the menu I have previously
scanned was not up to date with the current menu, I could scan the
menu at the restaurant and update the file.

I have a coworker that has the KNFB Reader app. He is a blind O&M
instructor and is not as technical. Anyway, he was telling me that he
has used the app to scan the questions and answers that pop up on the
game show Family Fued, and the app recognized them perfectly from his
TV's screen.

Wayne

Follow me on Twitter at:
www.twitter.com/wcmerritt