On 2/13/07, Andrew Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi
At Nicholas' suggestion I have been looking into why Module::Build is
failing test on VMS. My observations are

  - if you run the MB basic.t in isolation it works.
  - as part of the full make test it doesn't get off the ground.

My observation is that it doesn't return from the following line
(I have put tracing in)
   my $mb = Module::Build->new( module_name => $dist->name );

I had a theory that it was caused by the relative path in @INC but I
have made that absolute to no avail
$VAR1 = [
           'DISK$XXXX:[SCRATCH.PERL595.lib.Module.Build.t.lib]',
           'DISK$XXXX:[SCRATCH.PERL595.lib]',
           '.',
           '[.lib.Module.Build.t.bundled]'
         ];

Two more general questions (I am new to the world of testing perl).
Can I get the tests to bung out more info (i.e. there STDOUT and STDERR).
I have tried
$Test::Harness::verbose =1 ;

Can I run a subset of the make test - it takes me 40 mins to get to the
point of failure (reminds me of batch Fortran jobs at university).

I'm assuming you are working with the Module::Build that is included
in bleadperl, right?

I think some of this is documented in perlvms.pod, but the simplest
way to run all the Module::Build tests (and only the Module::Build)
tests) under harness would be to do the following from the top-level
build directory:

$ perl_test_driver :== "harness."
$ @[.vms]test .exe "" -"v" [-.lib.Module.Build.t]*.t

OR

$ @perl_setup
$ define/translation=concealed PERL_ROOT DISK$XXXX:[SCRATCH.PERL595.]
$ define PERL_CORE 1
$ set default [.t]
$ perl harness [-.lib.Module.Build.t]*.t

or change the last line to run an individual test like so:

$ perl [-.lib.Module.Build.t]basic.t