John,

I'm not really familiar with your network but if you are using a router
which has DHCP enabled, no one on the outside (Internet) will be able to
see your systems hence the firewall is not as important.  When you upgrade
to SP2 you can turn the firewall off (that's the way it was before you
installed anyway!)  I think it is on Advanced button of the TCP/IP
properties for the Internet connection (not the LAN connection - check it
out on SP1 before you upgrade).

I have never used a firewall but the ports you mentioned are the right
ones to allow if you go that way.

Alan Watchorn
Eshelman Appraisals, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone (760) 692-4302
Fax (760) 692-4303

Wall, John said:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I have not installed SP2 on XP platform although I did once install the
beta
> version and immediately uninstalled it because nothing worked afterwards.
>
> My understanding of SP2 XP is that is closes off all ports thus VNC I
assume
> is stumped. I have not reinstalled SP2 XP but our employer is eager to
start
> the procedure and I am concerned about VNC with this installation.
>
> As yet haven't read up on what to do but I have read that SP2 XP installs a
> firewall with all ports closed off.
>
> So it is possible you need to look at the need to open port 5900 VNC and
5800 Javascript VNC via a browser.

> Just a thought but I would be interested from fellow users of VNC as I
myself will need to know how to open these ports once SP2 XP has been
installed.

> Regards.
>
> John
>
>> ----------

version and installing the new version from scratch?

>> Alan Watchorn
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (760) 692-4300

Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:40 AM
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: server closed connection unexpectedly
>>

>> Today i updated form vnc 3.3 to 4.0... since i'm "using" 4.0, on XP
(pro and home whith SP2), i always get the message: