Hi all

I'm having some problems logging into several remote systems. Each PC is
running Windows XP (home 5.1), and the Windows Firewall has been
configured to accept connections through port 5900 for VNC. The router
has also been set to port forward 5900 to the local IP of the PC.

In general, I have had very little problems accessing these systems
through VNC over the last six months. However, occasionally just after a
re-boot, I am given the usual password login interface but then an error
message pops up without letting me in ("The connection closed
unexpectedly"). This has happened to a number of systems in the last few
days.

Logging into the router, I can see that the local IP of the PC hasn't
changed, and the PC is obviously still switched on (otherwise I would
not have received the VNC login interface). A hard boot seems to fix the
problem, but this is can be difficult to acheive at some locations as
they are located in remote locations.

I'm not sure why this problem only seems to happen intermittently, but
if anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful. Perhaps it's a
startup issue on the PC - but I do find this hard to believe that it'd
happen at such a large number of locations (especially when remaining
systems still work fine).

Kind regards

Ben