Tyran Ormond wrote:
> On 10:55 AM 10/23/2006 +0100, it would appear that James Weatherall
> wrote:
>> Hi "teh.asbo",
>>
>> Thanks for posting this handy tip. :)
> Note that if the administrator is smart and doesn't want you messing
> with the registry (as any semi-intelligent network admin would),
> regedit has likely been disable, including the abilty to merge .reg
> files.  With regedt disabled in this way, you cannot merge .reg files
> [snipped]
>> > To fix your problem, fire up notepad, and paste in the
>> > following three
>> > lines:
>> >
>> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>> >
>> > [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RealVNC\VNCViewer4\MRU]
>> >
>> > and save it as anything.reg. Double-click it, answer yes to
>> > the prompt,
>> > and then the MRU list will be deleted.
    IMO, HKCU is supposed to store user's personal setting.  Locking
this part of the registry would make a lot of applications function
improperly.  I don't think any sain network admin would disable access
to it.

    On the other hand, and IMO, if HKCU is locked, VNC Viewer can't
write connection history to it.  In the same reasoning, .reg can't be
merged but it's no necessary since there's no history to delete.  Or to
the contrary of reasoning, since VNC Viewer keeps a connection history,
that means HKCU is writable by user, so it's very likely that .reg could
be merged since it write to HKCU as well.

    I'd like to see a case in which VNC viewer can write to registry but
no .reg can be merged (no matter which part of registry it's about).
I'd like to see how the admin could achieve this level of twisting :)