On 10:55 AM 10/23/2006 +0100, it would appear that James Weatherall wrote:
Hi "teh.asbo",

Thanks for posting this handy tip. :)

Note that if the administrator is smart and doesn't want you messing with the registry (as any semi-intelligent network admin would), regedit has likely been disable, including the abilty to merge .reg files. With regedt disabled in this way, you cannot merge .reg files even as an administrator (there are other methods where merging is still possible but what's the point?).

While there are ways to re-enable regedit, doing so when the admin has purposefully locked them down is, at the very least, an intentional security breach. The possible ramificationsloss of computer use, loss of employment, criminal chargesthat could stem from intentionally breaching a computer's security measures should not be taken lightly.

With all this in mind, I do have a small number of personal clients that have had their registries fouled by malicious code which included disabling regedit and .reg files. For situations such as this, I use the script found here (http://windowsfair.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-to-enable-regedit.html) to re-enable their regedit (assuming I don't just wipe the machine and rebuild it, that is).

One final note, if the admin has *really* locked the computer down, scripting may well be disabled and then even the above trick won't work for you.

> To fix your problem, fire up notepad, and paste in the
> following three
> lines:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RealVNC\VNCViewer4\MRU]
>
> and save it as anything.reg. Double-click it, answer yes to
> the prompt,
> and then the MRU list will be deleted.

Tyran Ormond
Programmer/LAN Administrator
Central Valley Water Reclamation Facility