Hi Alex,

The Colour Level remains selectable so that the user can choose which of the
Low Colour levels to use for slow connections, or opt to force the session to
run in Full Colour even when the connection is slow.  The Auto-Select feature
always controls the encoding when enabled, since the choice of encoding does
not affect the quality of desktop imagery in current releases.

Note that the latest VNC Enterprise Edition Viewer releases simplify selection
of colour level and encoding.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd