Seak,

Thanks for the feedback.  The Auto-Select behaviour is specifically designed
to switch up the colour level but not back down again.  As you point out, this
doesn't work so well if your connection has short-lived periods of high
throughput but low throughput more normally.  In this case you should disable
the Auto-Select feature and manually select the compression & colour level.
The latest VNC Enterprise and Personal Edition viewers have a new, easier to
use interface for this.

HTH,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd