Alan,

I'm not sure what you mean by "whether I use RealVNC or WinVNC" - WinVNC is
the server part of the VNC system, which is produced by RealVNC Ltd.  Are you
referring to some other VNC-based server, perhaps?

You state that performance degrades massively - can you clarify whether the
server itself becomes sluggish, or whether it instead appears sluggish via the
VNC session?  The latter would suggest some kind of network issue.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd