At 09:33 pm 12-05-05 -0400, you wrote:

>not used account wrote:
>
>>For some reason, even the non-looping smot is still a
>>little interesting...
>>

>Yeah, especially if you can get 1.5 G for one!
>
>http://www.butlerlabs.com/2ftmagnapulsion.htm
>
>The SUPERSMOT!  I had not heard of butler before I visited SONS.

Having looked at the video (qui vive) on the above site one can
appreciate the seductiveness of the SMOT and its scam capacity.

By selecting frames from a video of the ball ascending the slope
one can convey any impression one wants of the relation between
distance travelled and time taken. Also the frame with no ball
and no finger gives the impression to a quasi modo optimist that
the ball has disappeared over the edge.

It is significant that there is no picture of the ball actually
exiting the SMOT. Presumably because it doesn't but simply comes
to a shuddering halt at the top of the slope. At best it might
travel slightly beyond its equilibrium position only to fall
back again. I suppose it is conceivable that it might actually
go over the edge, come to a halt in mid-fall and be drawn back
to its equilibrium position at the point of minimum magnet
separation.

In principle it could even fall to the "ground" level from which
it started but it would be decelerating all during its fall and
arrive at the ground level with zero kinetic energy. It would then
take off like a rocket and return to its equilibrium position at
the top of the slope.

The ball has to run on rails in order for a horizontal component
force to be generated sufficient to prevent the ball finishing
up on one or other of the magnet faces. This must require quite
tricky adjustment of the various dimensions.

However, the SMOT is a very good failure for getting one to think
about the implications of slingshot action. There is plenty of
random motion on a small scale. Could one by slingshot action
organise it? Could a suitable arrangement of magnets constitute
a Maxwell's demon?

In other words, could one make the magnetic equivalent of that
other intriguing device, the Ranque-Hilsch Vortex tube?

Cheers

Frank Grimer