At 04:04 pm 22/07/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>BlankRichard wrote..
> Frank, a simple proof of principle of your thoughts
>> on catalysis can be observed with the mixing of a
>> two part epoxy. Try mixing a cubic inch square mold
>> full versus a thin film layer on a surface.
>> The reaction and hardening time differs whereas the
>> cubic inch mold reaction time will be up to 12 or
>> more times faster than the thin film. This should
>> not be. The thin film should harden faster than the
>> cube.
>>
>Grimer wrote..
>> In the example you quote it would no doubt be argued that the heat
>> of reaction for the cube can't escape as easily as for the thin
>> film and that this heat speeds up the hardening process.

> The use of 2 part epoxy as an example over concrete is used
> because of the heat of reaction of epoxy is more obvious to
> everyone over concrete. Near identical reactive events occur
> in both. If you identify it as a chemical reaction you have
> locked yourself in the cloakroom.. it is a B-a and G-a event
> beyond chemistry as defined.

I see what you are saying but I think you are ahead of
ne there, Richard. When one has been addicted to something
like smoking all one's life it is very difficult to give
up the habit all at once. Likewise, once one sees the "light"
it is very difficult to give up darkness. One has to force
oneself to think of the world turning around rather than the
sun rising in the east and going down in the west.

Frank
Progress, we are making progress. Firrt, one must  step out of the box before one can begin thinking outside the box.
In another post I  read Grimer's response to Merlyn that is intriguing in its concept. To reinforce your thought train I will pass on an experience in electrical grounding  surrounding high resistive loads starting and stopping across the line.
Some our electronics installed at a large municipal plant were playing games with us. We suggested the problem was improper grounding and were rebuffed. Finally we rented a Dranitz power recorder to " capture" and record electrical events taking place on the incoming power during starting and stopping  blowers (loads of 250 Hp 460 vac 60hz 3 phase or greater) . The high speed strip chart recorder picked up spikes of 12,000 v at a moment of 1/1000 sec duration. The strange part was the recorder also picked up a change in frequency 'blip"from below  56hz up to 71hz. No one could explain this event. The power company checked on their side of the transformer and the hertz remained 60 on the nose.After a full set of grounding rings was installed around the blower building the problems with the electronics went away.
After all these years I believe I finally have to answer to the mystery of the momentary swing in frequency contained in Grimer's response to Merlyn.

Anyone experienced with accumulators ( gas over liquid pressure systems ) has a few choice tales to tell about the strange  shifts in gauge pressure that remain unexplained. Standard precision pressure gauges tend to play tricks while your back is momentarily turn by changing the pressure slightly. Try using a differential pressure gauge and compensate for the liquid head only to discover the differential gauge plays even sneaker tricks.Few ever noticed before the advent of digital readout.

All in the way of verification that Grimer is on to something interesting.

Richard