John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

What he [Clarke] did not envision is that electronic books are music are
> often freely available either by or inspite of the publishers wishes.

He did, actually. Maybe not in "Profiles" but he saw that coming long
before most  people did. As an author himself, he was not happy about it!

As a programmer, I have never been thrilled by the ease with which software
can be copied.

Farming has always produced relative abundance, and in a way this was the
> first labour saving activity, not that there is no effort, but clearly
> effort is reduced over hunting and scavenging.
>
> I guess we have been on this path for a long time.

Indeed, this has always been the ultimate goal of technology. This is the
inevitable outcome. It may turn out to be a nightmare. People may be
afflicted by ennui, with no goals or purpose left in life. As the saying
goes, "be careful what you wish for." The dangers were best described by
George Orwell in "The Road to Wigan Pier," in the section that begins,
"Every sensitive person has moments when he is suspicious of machinery and
to some extent of physical science. . . ."

See also the part below that, beginning: "The function of the machine is to
save work. In a fully mechanized world all the dull drudgery will be done
by machinery, leaving us free for more interesting pursuits. . . ."

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200391.txt

I say that's not our problem. Let our grandchildren and great grandchildren
deal with it. One thing at a time.

> All these promises of the future seem to also have existed when land was
> freely available and people owned their own little farm.
> If only they also had a washing machine, dishwasher, car,
> internet/phone/TV...

I expect land will once again be available in unlimited amounts once we
perfect the space elevator and we terraform Mars.