What he did not envision is that electronic books are music are often
freely available either by or inspite of the publishers wishes.

This is not a bad thing though, music created by those who want to create
great music has always sounded better than commercially focused efforts.

And the same goes for books.

And we should consider that such replication already occurs, except
commercial interests have got in the way.
Plants and animals are precisely such self creating pattern machines which
theoretically produce such abundance.

Farming has always produced relative abundance, and in a way this was the
first labour saving activity, not that there is no effort, but clearly
effort is reduced over hunting and scavenging.

I guess we have been on this path for a long time.

All these promises of the future seem to also have existed when land was
freely available and people owned their own little farm.
If only they also had a washing machine, dishwasher, car,
internet/phone/TV...

John