John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jed, your system would seriously incentivise crime.

> People aren't getting enough to really live on unless they live very hard,
> there are fewer jobs so crime is very tempting . . .

Why would it incentivise crime?? It would incentivise work. It would give
poor people the leeway to turn down minimum wage work. They could hold out
for $15 an hour instead of $7. They could work one job instead of two
because the universal payment would be about as much as they get from a
second job.

People could work less hard with fewer jobs overall (fewer working hours
per person) and still come out ahead. $10,000 per year is a lot of money
for a poor person. A married couple or a couple living together would get
$20,000 which is a huge amount for poor people. It is more than the average
Social Security benefit.

A full-time, 40-hour a week job at the federal minimum wage pays $15,000 a
year.

At present there are still many jobs for people, including jobs that robots
cannot do yet. We still need truck drivers, for example. Although the
technology for autonomous vehicles has been developed, it is not yet in use.

The idea is to have people continue to work at present, while robots
gradually take over. As the robots produce more, the universal payment is
increased until it is enough to live on.