He has never been primary author on a paper in a real journal.   Being a
tertiary author isn't that hard.

What you say is heartening but I don't think you are turning a critical eye
on this.  The chemistry here is very simplistic.  Heating up powdered
nickel and lithium hydride?  Why hasn't this already been replicated..