revtec wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wesley Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: OffTopic: Lust and the bible

The authors of this site aren't making the case why sex with strangers
is bad. They just say its bad and I think thats hazardous in this age.
VD and family conflict is the reason for the rules.

 It is interesting to note that the Bible does not state the above mentioned
reasons for avoiding adultry and fornication.
The only reason I can find is written by Paul in the NT when he points out
that we become "one flesh" with the people we have sex with just as a
husband and wife become one flesh.

I admire your effort to calculate the size of the common flesh pool, which essentially makes us all brothers and sisters in sex. However, was Paul not using this concept as a quaint way to describe making a baby?

Ed

That made me consider the concept of a "sexual network index".  One's index
number can be calculated by first adding up all the sex partners one has had
and then, considering each of those partners one by one, add all of the
people they have had sex with prior.  The addition process is carried on
step by step back through history until complete. Unfortunately the
calculation process for many people soon breaks down to a form of gross
estimating leading to a situation where one has to place a collection of
zeros to the end of the calculated number.  For people who believe in a
6,000 year creation time table, a half dozen zeros is probably enough.  For
people believing the evolutionary time frame, another couple of zeros may be
in order.

The index concept allows one to appreciate the rampent expanse of
promiscuity, and the tremendous pools of common flesh that exist in the
world.

Jeff