Jed,

"I know little about economics, but limiting the amount of money based on the amount gold we have -- or the number of bitcoins -- seems like utter lunacy to me. It never worked in the past. There are two reasons:"

Kurzweil seems to think it may be possible to break the Bitcoin algorithm too.

Having the dollar value based on something with a fixed quantity obviously will not work. The only thing in its favor is that the central bank can't then screw things up. That being the case surely it would be better to have it based on a basket of other currencies or at least write some laws to limit money expansion to match some measure of actual economic expansion. I know, I know, the politicians would find some way around it whatever is done.

Adrian