Jed,
I am not in agreement with that electricity is cheap. However, I live in
the PG&E land so it is a little false background. I can actually produce
electricity with a diesel generator at lower cost than I can buy it.
If you cut in to pieces what I say you can object but as whole your
arguments are rather weak.
Producing electricity locally, in my opinion as local as possible has a
long list of advantages. It is less vulnerable, no transmission cost to
mention a few. If I can produce electricity at ten percent of what I pay
today I would sat 'Tesla here I come'. In that scenario the price will be
such an attraction that I would even set aside the difficulties with Teslas
as it is today. I would not be the only one so the fear you have for high
cost of transforming gas stations in to battery exchange stations has no
merit. There will be more than adequate incentives for the investment. In
addition I read about a lot of development as it pertains to charging of
batteries quicker and big capacitors. I am sure that my suggestion about
battery exchange will have more attractive alternatives I am unable to
predict.
You are saying there are disadvantages with electrical cars besides slow
recharging. The price is one and I can guarantee that the cost of batteries
will decrease if there is a real competition. Just now there is no
aftermarket (not attractive due to high entry cost and small market), large
scale production is rare (Tesla's plant in Reno, NV will change that).
You say that generating plant should be in the Gigawatt scale. I think we
are so far apart in that opinion so I hardly know where to begin. Reality
is that the idea of big, inflexible, vulnerable, is an bygone idea. Small
flexible society where we can minimize the number of rules to a level that
you and I can understand and accept them requires a decentralized society,
which is locally managed. (Locally can sometimes be local from other aspect
than geography.) I am fine with one generator per house. It might be the
best. There are factors like back up, safety and service that might drive
the size. I agree with that one generator per house / building seems best.
In addition to other advantages investments will be of a scale that make us
all part of the decision making. We all have a hard time see the impact
from large dollar commitments. Horatius Parkinson in the 1940-is gave an
example from a meeting of the local town decision makers. There were two
items on the agenda; a new bike-stand for the only guy fully employed by
the town as he now parked his bike so it scratched the facade of the town
hall, secondly a purchase of a new statue for the town square. The cost of
bike stand was $29 and the statue was proposed at a million dollars. A long
debate where all elected representatives had opinions. The employee could
buy a bike stand, one could find a cheaper bike stand etc. etc. It ended
with that the issue was tabled to next meeting. Then came the question
about the statue took no time. It was approved after a positive
presentation by the most informed person. Long story but it is meant to
show that we are much more careful about numbers of the size we are used to
deal with as private people. Nobody question if there are savings of
$100,000 or $10,000 or even $20 on the statue.
So to the safety issue. I based my statement on the fact presented in the
suggested LENR induced by laser. I sounded safe and the suggestion was that
it was possible to use in small scale.  I would say that if we have been
able to refine the ottomotor to a relatively safe product - it seems that
with some engineering this proposed  product has fewer hurdles to overcome,
albeit it will require resources and time.
Your point about electrical cars having issues. short range and power
weight ratio is of course correct. I think the range will be extended and
the weight reduced in next generation batteries. However, I am sure that we
all can see reasons for driving an electrical car versus a gasoline powered
ditto. Most of the time 84 miles is enough. It is convenient to have an
electrical motor. I could change my car for an electrical one any day. JUst
now the only hurdle is the capital investment.

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

www.StrategicLeadershipSac.com
lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899
202 Granite Park Court, Lincoln CA 95648

“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment
to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” PJM