Not really, I'm more thinking about initially generating individual neutral
mesons or +/- pairs from decay of highly excited nuclei, with no actual nucleon
disintegration before some other kind of decay can occur, which might be almost
as weird.

What you are describing is a direct nucleon disintegration of a nucleon into
mesons it is indeed hard to imagine a process how this can occur. Holmlid seems
to be deciding something along those lines however, if I understand right. This
is also problematic as he mentions that +/- Kaons are produced first that
contain strange quarks these later decay to pions and so on. Strange quarks are
heavier than up and down quarks so are unlikely to come from decay of those
quarks, so we need to explain where the strange quarks come from.

I do wonder if a long neutral Kaon which contains + and - strange and down
quarks in an oscillating state could be generated from decay of sufficiently
highly excited nuclei and that if these neutral Kaons containing strange quarks
once produced can interact with nucleons sufficiently to lead to disruption of
the a nucleon and generate the products seen in Holmlids experiment without a
high energy impact.

I also wonder if K0 interactions with nuclei have been observed in other
devices including particle accelerators, these would be complicated by higher
energy interactions however. I agree if they react to produce +/- Kaons and
cause nucleon decay it would indeed be something amazing. But surely some kinds
of experiments using K0 capture in nuclei have been performed at some point so
if anything as strange as this occurs we should have evidence of it.

The alternatives are also hard to explain, however:

A random high energy perturbation outside nucleus some how generating the pions

High energy impacts of light nuclei or mid weight nuclei might generate Mesons
but then they would also likely generate neutrons, gammas and other fission
products.

Some amazing external force ripping apart the nucleons in deuterium into pions
with out just over coming the inter nucleon binding energy and creating high
energy protons and neutrons

Tachyon disintegration, I'm still not fully up to speed on understanding the
possibilities mentioned here about Tachyon disintegration, but Axil's insights
have often been shown to potentially have an important part to play once we
understand them, so maybe indeed that could be an alternative.

There is another possibility in that the data is misinterpreted and mesons are
not present, but here I am assuming that is not the case.