Holmlid said that a brief exposure of the catalyst to room light produces a
limited number of mesons. So it sounds like all the photons from the room
light are concentrated to only a few SPPs.

SPPs produce particles like Hawking radiation. It is called hadronization.

See page 8 in this article

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0507219v3.pdf