Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is not to suggest that all experts are always right, but non-experts
>> are never right, and they cannot be right, even in principle. If they
>> happen to be right, it is a lucky guess.
>>

> This is complete nonsense.

Obviously I mean with regard to complex technical subjects, such as global
warming or brain surgery. Or controlling robot explorers on Mars.

Experts are often wrong about ordinary subjects, and subjects outside of
their own expertise. They can even be wrong about their own fields, but
logically that means they are not actually experts.

Anyone can judge an expert by looking at results. Over the last few months
I have had an itching rash. I consulted with two doctors, and followed
their advice, but it did not get better. Obviously they are not experts on
that particular problem. I went to third doctor. The treatment he
recommended seems to be working, so I guess he is an expert after all. Or
he made a lucky guess. I can't judge.