Hi,
[snip]
>From: Bob Higgins
>
>*      Jones, I think you may be wrong about this.  If an f/H anion existed,
>it would be a very heavy negatively charged body, like a muon but heavier.  As
>it approached a Ni atom, it would experience no force since the Ni electrons
>screen the Ni nuclear charge.
>
>Bob - the attraction would be magnetic, which is stronger than electrostatic
>repulsion in this case due to the reduced orbital diameter. Apply inverse
>square to the dense anion, and you have a kilo-tesla magnetic field. According
>to Mills the negatively charged species is stable and bound in the range of a
>few eV. It would displace a valence electron in the nickel cloud but not an
>inner electron.

1) Anions carry a negative charge (by definition).
2) A negatively charged body would be *attracted* to a positively charged
nucleus. The force is only zero while the anion is completely external to the Ni
atom. As soon as it is inside the outermost electron shell, it begins to feel an
attractive force, that rapidly gets stronger as it burrows deeper, for two
reasons, decreasing distance, and less shielding.
3) Any magnetic force would be in *addition* to the electrostatic attraction
force.

>*      The f/H anion would enter the Ni atom and kick out an electron keeping
>it a net neutral body.  The f/H anion would quickly descend into a tight
>orbital around the nucleus due to its high mass.
>
>Not necessarily. The net negative charge is low. The same force (ZPE) which
>keeps any electron away from the nucleus also operates against this anion.

Negative muons would appear to disagree with you. (See e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_atom#Muonic_atoms)
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk