From: Bob Higgins

*       Given the recent discussion of Holmlid, it makes me wonder if the the
proton ejection branch could be from sudden breakup of the hydrogen anion
electron shielding from deep within the Ni atom, causing sudden Coulombic
repulsion of the proton.

Yes. This makes much more sense than any kind of fusion – where the barrier of
nickel is the highest of all elements and gamma rays are expected.

                How close would the hydrogen nucleus have to get to the Ni
nucleus to release 6 MeV in Coulombic repulsion?  It would be an interesting
calculation.

I would not give the 6 MeV value much credence.

It could be the far extreme of Boltzmann’s tail for an ejected proton, and
rarely seen. It is less than the Coulomb barrier so if it derived from fusion,
it would be endothermic fusion. The beauty of a reaction which is based on
repulsion alone, without fusion, is that even with much lower average energy,
the actual transmutation seen would be minimal. If you look at Piantelli’s
transmutation counts – they are tiny, almost to the point of insignificance.

The missing detail would be to explain how SPP cause the sudden breakup of the
f/H- anion, which seems to involve spin.