after the proton expulsion.

From: Bob Higgins

I asked Piantelli about how the hydrogen anion could enter a Ni atom and
approach the nucleus so closely when the anion itself is so big.  In my
thinking, if the anion had not become some type of compact body, it would have
experienced Coulombic repulsion long before the hydrogen nucleus ever closely
approached the Ni nucleus.  He said he had deduced what was happening from his
experimental data, and didn't have sufficient data to say how it happened at
the atomic and sub-atomic scale - it was just what seemed to be happening from
the observed branches of the reaction.  Remembering my DDL lore, I asked him if
he had ever seen high energy emissions in the reaction, and he said he had seen
some 500keV emissions - could this have been given up for the hydrogen anion to
transition to a DDL state?  He said he had no evidence of that.  He was not
willing to publicly speculate on details for which he had insufficient
supporting data - a good scientist's position.

I subsequently wrote to Jerry Vavra at SLAC to ask if he was aware of anyone
who may have solved Dirac's equation for a DDL state of the hydrogen anion.  He
was unaware that anyone had done this.  I have not asked this of Meulenberg.