There is another point of view which recognizes that Ukraine never trusted
Russia (duh, who does?) ... going back through history - and therefore never
gave up all of their nukes - treaty or no.

They most likely kept smaller suitcase or artillery devices which would have
been easier to hide.

This would not have been difficult to do in that time frame. The Ukrainians are
not so stupid as to trust Russia and before Zelenskyy they were corrupt so
another motivation could have been financial gain. At any rate they would
surely have kept enough fissile material to serve as a deterrent, but also ---
some or all of that material may be in private hands maybe in a neighboring
country such as Poland.

Putin is probably aware of this. After all he is the master spy. His bluster is
directed at NATO.

Ukraine has almost twice the U reserves as the USA as well as the original
processing plants going back to the cold war when there were several "secret
cities" scattered around the Donbas which may explain why that area is the
center of attention of the Wagner group ... which has likely been promised
billions of Euros to retrieve the material.

If there was NOT such a deterrent out there in the hands of the Ukrainians -
they would already have been toast by now.

    Terry Blanton wrote:
 Regretfully, I agree.
ROGER ANDERTON wrote:

 Ukraine was not supposed to have nukes by earlier agreements with Russia,
hence Ukraine wanted to join NATO to get access to nukes - and that was seen as
breaking agreements with Russia hence one of the reasons for Putin's invasion -
i.e deemed Russia was provoked. If Ukraine secretly has nukes then they broke
agreement much earlier than recognised