Michel Jullian wrote:
 > You insist, very aggressively, that my statement
was incorrect even if I meant one
electro-magnet. Well the case is simple enough, let's
work it out. If it's non-resistive
it's purely inductive, so v=-L*di/dt right? So if
current i is constant, voltage v is
zero, therefore consumed power i*v is zero, and so is
consumed energy i*v*t. So as I said,
"a non-resistive current loop would not consume any
energy to keep the current going".

 > Now this may come as an even bigger surprise to
you, but a pure inductance is in fact
unable to consume _any energy at all_, even if current
is not constant. It can store
energy (1/2*L*i^2), it can transfer energy when mutual
inductance is at play, but it just
can't consume any. Resistance can consume energy,
reactance can't, any textbook will tell
you that.

You still do not see it.  Back to your quote, "You
keep telling us electromagnets consume
energy, true but that's ***ONLY*** because the wires
are resistive."  Lets consider an
electro-magnet that has no wire resistance.  We
energize the coil, which moves energy from
the battery to the near and far field.  Right off the
bat we have unrecoverable energy
lost in the far field ... with no wire resistance.
:-)))   Now to continue, near the
electro-magnet is another electro-magnet.  This
electro-magnet accelerates toward our
original electro-magnet, which induces an opposing
voltage against the original
electro-magnets current. This consumes energy from the
original electro-magnet in the
amount of the opposing voltage times the current.
Then the electro-magnets turn off to
collect some of the original energy.   The amount of
energy lost during the entire process
is equal to far field loss plus KE energy gained. :-)

 > P.S. The confusion over the definition of
"universe" is yours (and shared by all people
talking about multiple universes) I am afraid. As I
said the universe is all there is, by
definition:
 > http://www.thefreedictionary.com/universe
 > as can be easily understood from such derived words
as "universal". If you dislike the
word, "nature" is fine for me too.

You still don't seem to understand.  Even the same
website clarifies if you took the time
to lookup Omniverse -->

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Omniverse
Quote, "In physical cosmology, omniverse is a term
used to differentiate a limited number
of ***universes*** from all existent universes."  Take
note of the plural word
"universes."  Again, the definition of "universe" is
in the process of changing, now that
we are accepting existence beyond our universe.

 > No offense as you like to say, but isn't this an
excellent occasion to show us how
gladly you admit being in error Paul? ;-)

So far I am not in error, and it seems you are not
willing to claim your 2nd and 3rd error.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance

*standard* physics
 >> I am blunt, and make no apologies for it.  When in
 >> error I ***gladly*** admit such error.
 >>  Saving face IMHO it pitiful.
 >
 >>> I know about induced emf, my comment
 >>> mentioned no other current loop around, in which
 >> context it is 100% correct :)
 >
 >> I am sorry, but your statement was clear and
 >> incorrect.  Your quote,
 >> ---
 >> "You keep telling us electromagnets consume
energy,
 >> true but that's only because the wires
 >> are resistive. A non-resistive current loop would
not
 >> consume any energy to keep the
 >> current going."
 >> ---
 >> You said, "electromagnets"   Notice the "s," which
 >> means plural.   You know what?  It does
 >> not even matter if you meant one electro-magnet
 >> because your statement is still incorrect.
 >>  Electro-magnets have induction, so you can't even
 >> energize the thing without consuming
 >> such energy.  Of course there is wire resistance,
but
 >> there is also ***reactance***.
 >> Right off the bat your statement is incorrect.
 >> Second, we were clearly discussing two
 >> electro-magnets accelerating toward each other.

Need Mail bonding?