Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
[snip]
 > However, there's something here that bugs
 > me whenever I think about this stuff.
 >
 > Michel Jullian wrote:
 >
 >> Energy stored in a pure inductor is fully
recoverable actually

 > Yes, of course, v = -L dI/dt and what goes in must
come out.

 > But as someone mentioned, when you turn on the
power an EM wave travels
 > out from the inductor at C, carrying energy.  How's
that energy get back
 > to the inductor again when we open the circuit?  If
it doesn't, then
 > that formula, v = -L dI/dt, must not be quite
correct.

The fundamental equation appears correct.  What is
commonly misunderstood is that
electro-magnets cannot be purely inductive due to
radiation resistance.  There's wire
resistance, and there's radiation resistance.

 > Related issue:  If the inductor is part of a
transformer the "other
 > coil" absorbs energy and that doesn't come back out
(or, rather, it
 > comes out the "other side" of the transformer).
But if we separate the
 > primary and the secondary coils by significant
distance, the primary
 > doesn't know for a long time that the secondary
absorbed some of the
 > energy -- so how does it know it shouldn't give
back the full complement
 > of energy to the power supply during the second
half of the cycle?

In such a case energy from the primary is radiated.
This causes radiation resistance on
the primary coil.  It would be the goal of the
secondary to capture as much radiation as
possible.

 > This is particular interesting with regard to an
antenna, which seems
 > like it's just a transformer with a lot of distance
between primary and
 > secondary.  An antenna is  basically just an ideal
inductor, yet it
 > radiates away power that doesn't come back out at
the terminals.

Radiation resistance.

 > What's the difference between an antenna and a
simple coil, _aside_ from
 > the fact that we "think about" an antenna as
broadcast device and a coil
 > as an energy storage device?

As you know, coil designers try to eliminate as much
radiation resistance as possible.
Antennas are designed to do the opposite.  Both have
inductance and radiation resistance.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance

Bored stiff? Loosen up...