http://snipurl.com/19t0f

http://www.ajc.com/cars/content/printedition/2007/02/10/carplugin0210a.html

(free registration might be required)

Note the incorrect reference to Steorn who had said they have never
attached an electric generator to their device.

Complete article for group use only:

Electrics slide into market: Battery-powered autos best option for
U.S., advocates say

By John Christensen
For the Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/10/07

When Stephen Taylor sold his radio stations in Macon and retired, he
could have taken some nice trips, bought a swell new house or indulged
himself in any number of ways. Instead, he paid off his house in
Marietta and bought a Corbin Sparrow.

The Sparrow is a cartoon car, a three-wheeled electric-motor
motorcycle wrapped in a composite shell. It has a heater, windshield
wipers and a radio, but it is slow, has no air conditioning and seats
just one. Taylor's is jellybean orange.

"That's what I drive if I want to attract attention," he says. "People
say it looks like a nose. The front wheels are the nostrils."

But there was no room for the wife and kids, so he bought a Selectria
Force, a four-passenger Geo Metro that had been converted into an
electric car.

Then he bought another Force, and another. Taylor now has eight
electric vehicles —- including the electric tractor he mows his 5
acres with —- and is president of the local chapter of the Electric
Automobile Association.

He is also an evangelist for what many believe is the inevitable
future of motoring in America: the electric vehicle.

At the recent Detroit Auto Show, Car & Driver picked the Chevrolet
Volt concept car as one of the most significant in the show.

Beneath the Volt's crisp, aggressive styling is a lithium-ion battery
that is the equivalent of 12 Toyota Prius batteries and has a range of
40 miles. There is also an 85-horsepower, 1.0-liter, three-cylinder
turbo engine that powers a generator that recharges the battery while
the car is running. It can run on an ethanol/gasoline blend or on
gasoline alone with a range up to 640 miles.

The Volt is a hopeful sign among EV fanciers, and for reasons that are
anything but frivolous.

"Without a doubt the electric vehicle is the car of the future," says
Bill Moore, publisher of EV World, an online zine devoted to electric
vehicles. "If it isn't, we're all going to be in serious hurt,
transportation-wise."

The reasons: rising fuel prices and our dependence on foreign oil, the
likelihood of limits and taxes on carbon emissions (Gov. Arnold
Schwarzenegger has already signed such an order in California) and the
limitations of alternative fuels such as ethanol.

"The whole country needs to get away from depending on foreign oil,"
Taylor says. "Electricity is something we can create ourselves without
using oil. Environmentalism is a happy benefit of it, but I'm thinking
more about national security. That's why I like electric cars."

The downside to EVs is that they are often slower than conventional
cars and have limited range.

Taylor says he prefers the slow lane, anyway, but his wife's electric
Toyota RAV4, which requires no shifting and has no engine noise,
"accelerates so smoothly that if you don't let up, you're speeding.
It's really a cool feeling."

The lithium batteries he put in one of his Selectria Forces gives him
a range of 100 miles —- more than enough for in-town trips. On long
trips, the family travels in one of the hybrids —- a Prius and a Camry
—- his kids drive.

"The really great thing," he says, "is you never have to go to a gas
station. You plug it in and walk away, so you never leave home without
a full charge."

EVs had a fling in the 1990s when California's Air Resources Board
ordered manufacturers to make electric vehicles available to improve
air quality. Other states began preparing as well.

But the manufacturers objected that the technology was unproven and
the cars unprofitable, and when the state suspended its quotas, the
manufacturers stopped making EVs.

Moore estimates that there are less than 30,000 highway-capable EVs in
the United States today, and another 35,000 low-speed and neighborhood
electric vehicles which he calls "golf carts on steroids."

Georgia Power had 550 EVs over a period of several years, the
second-biggest fleet in the country behind Southern California Edison,
but now has none. Nevertheless, Don Francis, senior marketing engineer
for the program, says the plug-in hybrid is clearly the future.

His concern is that that U.S. manufacturers, who were unprepared for
the oil crisis of 1974 and the success of the Toyota Prius hybrid, may
again miss the boat.

"What we should be worried about," Francis says, "is that they may
decide not to do the plug-in hybrid, and the Japanese do because they
don't want to be left behind —- especially the next time gas spikes to
$4 or $5 a gallon and stays there.

"Because one thing I know about the Japanese, having worked with them,
is that there's something going on behind the veil. They don't talk
much, but then they pop up and say 'Done!' and give it to you."

The key is a battery that is powerful, inexpensive and reliable.

The Volt is viable now, but its battery alone would cost $40,000.
Moore says companies big (Panasonic, Sanyo, Gold Star) and small
(A123, AlterNano, Eestor) are engaged in a furious race to produce
such a battery, and a group in Ireland claims it has an electric motor
that puts out more energy than goes into it.

The EV, then, is where science fiction and reality collide, and it's
full of surprises: the Tesla Roadster and the Tango kit car bought by
George Clooney (MSRP: $108,000) that appears to have been designed in
a funhouse mirror. These bring what Taylor calls "the EV grin."

"It's just fun to drive an electric car," he says. "Some like to race
a car, but to me driving electric cars are just as thrilling as racing
a car. And after Katrina, my wife called me a genius because she never
had to wait in gas lines."

In the market:

None of the vehicles below offers highway-ready, mass-market
transportation. The Volt is a concept vehicle; the Tesla is a limited
production, high-dollar sports car, and the Xebra enters the market as
a neighborhood vehicle. But they offer a tantalizing glimpse at what
the future may hold for U.S. motorists.

Tesla Roadster (MSRP: $92,000): Proof that EVs don't have to look like
a cheap toaster and handle like a dump truck, the nifty Tesla was
built in California with styling cues from Lotus' chief designer. It
clocks from 0 to 60 in four seconds and costs about a penny a mile to
operate. The limited 2007 production run is sold out, but a $50,000
deposit gets you to the front of the line for 2008.

Chevrolet Volt (Price not available): It's expected to take GM five to
eight years to find an inexpensive replacement for the Volt's
400-pound, $40,000 lithium-ion battery. But its appearance at the
Detroit Auto Show and its stylish, muscular design suggests that at
least one U.S. manufacturer may be taking EVs seriously.

Xebra (MSRP: $8,995): A three-wheeled, Chinese-built oddity that comes
as a four-passenger sedan or a two-passenger pickup, the Xebra is
marketed by a California company called ZAP (for Zero Air Pollution).
Top speed is 40 mph, and its range is about 41 miles. The electric
motor is powered by a lead-acid battery pack.

<end>