Hi Thomas,

> Some of the footage was shot down the street at our U of M. I'm
wondering why those vortexes bend down and tore up the pot holes.

That is not hard to imagine when considering the huge volume of water that
was moving over the ground.  I have seen similar features on a smaller scale
at Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=bridge+of+flowers+shelburne+falls+ma
ssachusetts&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=18&ll=42.602248,-72.73829&spn=0.001714
,0.003616

I have always wondered how these features were made.

Just watching that NOVA program gave me a lot of ideas for building more
water vortex generators.  I was particularly impressed with the implosion of
the tiny bubbles, which caused a water hammer effect.  It amazes me that air
bubbles can be both suddenly created and suddenly collapsed like that.

Dave