Horace wrote,

The idea is to apply a very sharp square wave to a long thin tube of
liquid material and measure the waveform that comes out the other
end.  It is then just a matter of building a database using samples
of known materials.  It might be useful as a cheap preliminary
screening method for some kinds of water pollution.

Howdy Horace,

Interesting idea you have for a "receptive spectrometer".
Suggest some parameters and I will get one on our instrument guys to build one. We would use the guts of something we have laying around and see where it leads . We have some 5/8" od x .035 grade 2 titanium tubing that could work, You are correct about water pollution applications. The industry will transition to radical new water treating technologies within 5 years and we don't have the instruments for the technology..One of the tasks involve transmutaton of certain nitrogen compounds that otherwise present troublesome obstacles to destruction.

Richard