On Aug 26, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Stiffler Scientific wrote:

If either of you wish, I think it would clear up the idea of the 'third
electrode'. It is indeed not as its being thought of here.

The circuit is www.stifflerscientific.com/images/cre_sc.jpg

I think it is in my case. Here is a circuit diagram of the cell internals.

    ========================================(a)

                 -------
                 |     |
                 Z1    |
                 |     |
                 R1    C1
                 |     |
                 -------

                    o--------------
                    |             |
                 -------       -------
                 |     |       |     |
                 |     |       Z3    |
                 |     |       |     |
                 R2    C2      R4    C4
                 |     |       |     |
                 -------       -------
                    |             |
                    |             o----------(b)
                    |             |
                    |          -------
                    |          |     |
                    |          Z4    |
                    |          |     |
                    |          R5    C5
                    |          |     |
                    |          -------
                    |             |
                    o--------------

                 -------
                 |     |
                 Z1    |
                 |     |
                 R3    C3
                 |     |
                 -------

    ======================================(c)

   Fig.1 - Conceptual circuit diagram of triode screen

R1 and C1 are due to the interface characteristics at electrode (a) and through electrolyte to the electrode (b). R3 and C3 are due to the interface characteristics at electrode (c) and through electrolyte to the electrode (b).

Note, it might be appropriate to add a diode or two to the above depending on the electrode surface conditions, but let's not go into that much detail for any of the 3 electrodes.

R4 and C4 describe the electrode (b) electrolyte interface surfaces facing electrode (a). R5 and C5 describe the electrode (b) electrolyte interface surfaces facing electrode (c).

R2 and C2 describe any path through the electrolyte that bypasses the electrode (b).

The zenier diodes Zi represent the inability of the interfaces to tunnel electrons through until a critical voltage is reached. For that reason electrolysis can't occur below a given potential, and thus energy level.

There is no DC conductivity in an electrolytic cell until a critical voltage is reached. Depending on how much the electrolyte bypass of electrode (b) is suppressed, (i.e. the bigger R2 gets) the conductivity of the cell may be suppressed entirely depending on the potentials used for (a), (b), and (c). Note that when AC is used also, it may swing potentials into an electrolysis producing range at times. The closer a cell operates to the minimum electrolysis voltage (coming down from a high voltage), the more efficient it is, and the more it uses ambient heat to effect electrolysis, but the less gas it evolves in total. The economics of most commercial electrolysers is not based on energy but rather gas evolved per plate area. Capital expense is the main thing. Now, if an energy free electrolyser is possible, that is a whole different thing.

Note that electrolysis can be produced at differing times on differing plates depending on the discharge cycles of the various capacitors - complex resonant waveforms can be produced within the cell itself.

Horace I sent an amended post saying I was not clear on the Eg result and it
applies to current and not energy.

There is still something wrong with the units. Eg is in A^2 kg m^2/ mol-sec, which is not current, or current density, energy, power, or anything recognizable. I would suggest reviewing how you came up with the formula. There is some mistake and correcting it might reveal something.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/