Jeff Fink wrote:

With the exception of you, Mr. Malloy, and me, the contributors to this forum represent the most amazing dichotomy I have ever encountered. With open minds and open eyes they fearlessly assail the bastions of physics, and with rather meager amounts of experimental data and observations, manage to crack its foundations.

This is a huge misunderstanding.

Yes, some people here fearlessly assail the bastions of physics. But Fleischmann and I (and many others) see ourselves as fearlessly DEFENDING the bastions of physics. We are "painfully conventional people" and we think the skeptics have lost their minds, and lost all touch with reality. We think they have forgotten the conservation of energy, the laws of chemistry, the primacy of replicated experiments over theory, and so on. We are normal. They are the outlandish weirdos. All the things they accuse us of, such as handwaving and inventing crazy theories to explain away facts, are actually what they do -- not us.

Most of the world sees it the other way around, but that is because people do not know the detailed facts of the matter.

Fleischmann and I think that science has hardly begun and there are vast areas of ignorance and undiscovered facts. He says, "whenever you hear someone say 'that's a closed field, we know just about all there is to know,' I can tell it is about to erupt in confusion and be overturned." However, this is not to say that established laws, or foundations, such as conservation of energy or conventional nuclear theory is likely to "crack." At worst, the textbook laws are special cases, or limited cases, and they will have to be extended or tweaked to explain cold fusion. (I think I speak for Fleischmann on this matter -- I have had long conversations with him about these matters. But I apologize if I have misrepresented his views. In any case, many researchers believe this to be the case.)

Therefore, it is not surprising or uncharacteristic of people like me to assume that biologists are correct, and natural selection can account for all of the observations they have made so far. As I have often said, I assume that experts such as Fleischmann and McKubre are right, and people who know nothing about calorimetry or electrochemistry such as Morrison and the editor of Sci. Am. are wrong. Not only do I assume that, but I am well-enough versed in the technical arguments to prove it in detail, to my own satisfaction anyway.

A person must often take expert opinion on faith, because we can seldom work through the arguments in detail. However, in the case of cold fusion and natural selection, I have actually worked through many detailed arguments. I have done hands-on cold fusion and biology, and I have read a great deal of both.

(At ICCF conferences I sometimes find that I know more specific details about a wider range of cold fusion experiments than some experimentalists know. I have what you might call a worm's eye view. Details are all I know. I do not understand advanced physics and chemistry, but I happen to know, for example, in considerable detail how Irina Savvatimova used thermal ionization mass spectroscopy (TIMS), which involves heating up a sample until it ionizes, and then accelerating the ions through a magnetic field . . . etc., etc.. I had to figure that out what's what with TIMS in order to edit the paper she sent, because she used the wrong words for TIMS jargon. She directly translated the Russian terms.)

I am no expert, but not a clueless amateur either. This forum is not appropriate to argue out the details of creationist theory, but based on what I know of biology, I think it has no merit. It is as bad as Morrison's objections to cold fusion. I am not going to say any more than that, because it is off topic.