Jed Rothwell wrote:

thomas malloy wrote:

Harry Veeder wrote:

Did Dawkins say exactly that?

It was reported on one of the Salem Radio Network talk shows. They are normally reliable, but not inerrorant.

Dawkins did say exactly that: teaching religion is a form of child abuse. He said that in the book and elsewhere. However, taken out of context it sounds worse than it is.

Actually, I think everyone would agree with Dawkins about some extreme forms of religious belief. In particular, people who strongly believe in one religion often feel that indoctrination in any other religion causes harm. In other

Most fundamentalist evangelicals believe that Christianity is able to compete in an open market of ideas.

dead friend was in hell because she was not Catholic. The thought terrified her for years, and caused long-term psychiatric damage. That is child abuse, by any reasonable standard.

Touches

As for Radical Islamists R I's teaching their children to be shaids (martyrs), they are honoring their god. Dawkins can't see any difference between the two religious systems. R I's are famous for their opposition to freedom in general, and religious freedom in particular. IMHO, you have to be blind not to see the difference between the two religions. well what else would you expect from a member of CSICOP, eh?

BTW, I throughly enjoyed the link to Professor Sheldrake's page with the Dawkin's anecdote. I sent him a letter mentioning Otto Schmitt's disdain for the Skeptic magazine, and his fascination with metaphysics. In particular, his bending spoons with Yuri Geller. Dr. Sheldrake's assistant replied that she had forwarded it to him. She doubts that Dr. Dawkin's accepts the validity of Remove Viewing.

Now if I can just tie this flat bastard file in a knot!

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---