--- Richard,

> Tell us... the next act in the drama...

Well, it's no secret that if a mild thermo-chemical
reaction can pull this off (unaided) in a simple warm
refluxing situation, even if it is at a low yield--
then it is very reasonable to believe that single cell
organisms (GM or natural) should be up to the task of
doing the same thing more efficiently.

GM in this case stands for genetic modification. There
could be natural single-cell life already evolved to
do this, even with the toxicity involved -- and if so,
then it would likely be advantageous to hybridize that
kind of bacteria to do the reaction as efficiently as
possible (with or without solar input). There are
plenty of "thermophilic" algae from hot springs and at
ocean vents, with which to expand the gene pool.

I haven't had time to look into this more deeply, so
to speak, but in following the alternative-energy
scene for the past twenty years, I have yet to see it
mentioned (i.e. the concept of using bacteria/algae to
convert soda into phenol).

I would have guessed, prior to today, that it was
totally impossible (and am not yet convinced that it
is doable).

BTW I am using the common term "soda" to mean any
sodium+carbon based salt, primarily baking soda; and
"phenol" to mean (very loosely) any oxygenated 6-ring
based carbohydrate.

The unspoken variable is cost. Soda is very much like
sand - in that the cost of it is almost entirely in
transportation, so it would be imperative to do the
conversion process of soda into phenols at the site of
the soda, even if the water must be trucked in.

Even if the yield remains low at only a few percent
(soda into phenol), the net cost could be extremely
low. Needless to say, free and abundant "heat" is no
problem in most of the very same places where natron
is found. Water is the big limitation.

Anyone ready to check-out Death Valley in the summer ?

Jones