While all you say very well Nick is true and reasonable. Nevertheless the basic issue is not addressed. The basic issue is that burning fossil fuels is harmful for several important reasons, only one of which is global warming. Therefore, we should make every effort to phase out this source of energy. This will not be done unless the public can understand the reason. The most easily understood reason is the effect on the climate. Therefore, what is the point of fighting this argument no matter how distorted its presentation might be? Besides, the debunkers might be wrong, a fact that would not become obvious until it is too late. Is it not wise and prudent to use every argument that can be found to get people to support alternate energy, including climate change? In contrast, I would expect people who get financial benefit from the fossil fuel industry to fight any argument for eliminating the use of oil and coal. Consequently, it is easy to see where the self-interest lies by the argument each person uses.

Ed