Rick Monteverde wrote:

There's so much in this, political, economic, legal & otherwise, we'll need lots of time to see it all, have it all unravel and be exposed. It's too many historical events too fast. These few days will be analyzed in great detail over years to come, like one of those deep space missions where the craft flashes past it's target but the data takes years to fully lay out and analyze.

Well said.

Historical events often do pile on top of one another, one triggering the next in a confusing sequence so that it becomes difficult to know what caused what, or who reacted to who. You see this in accounts of the Cuban missile crisis, for example, or at the beginning of FDR's administration, when the banks were collapsing and the economy came to a standstill on the very day of the inauguration.

No doubt this will have a profound effect on the election. Today, Obama came out strongly in favor of the bailout. Considering how strong public sentiment is running against it, this was an extraordinary thing for him to do. It was either great leadership or foolhardy. Only time will tell. I think he should have waited until after the election. In fact, I think he should have waited until after he won the election and was inaugurated. That is what FDR did in similar circumstances. FDR ran on somewhat vague & contradictory promises; he did nothing during the transition, leaving all the problems in Hoover's hands; and then when he became president he acted decisively.

On the other hand, FDR was acting decisively all the while as governor of New York, from 1928 to 1932, so it was clear what sort of person he was, what sort of policies he favored, and what he intended to do. As an administrator, he was a known quantity. Obama is not, so perhaps it is wise of him to demonstrate his ability to lead. At the time Roosevelt was running for president, Walter Lippmann famously wrote that Roosevelt was a "hollow, synthetic, a pleasant man who, without any important qualifications, would very much like to be President." It is surprising that anyone could so misjudge a prominent public figure and the governor of the most populous state in the union.

Whether you like FDR or hate him, no one after 1932 would ever call him "synthetic" or "without important qualifications." He was by far the most accomplished, skillful, naturally talented president in U.S. history. He was dominated Congress and the nation, and was able to enlist the will & support of the people to his purposes more than any other president. He had incredible political skill, and the ability to say and do just at the right thing at the opportune time.

If you favor FDR's policies then you will think the nation was fortunate that he had such skill. And if you oppose them -- as many people still do -- you will find that regrettable. But no one says he was ineffective.

My gut feeling is that Obama is also highly effective, and he seems to have a natural talent for leadership. I base this on his conduct of the campaign; that is, the way he has organized people, raised money and spent it effectively to overcome politically powerful opponents. Based on what he wrote in his second book I agree with his policies. You never know whether a person will actually follow through on his policies, but I think he has good ideas, and guts. Many chief executives have done just the opposite of what they initially intended to do, notably Jefferson (who was opposed to presidents acting by fiat yet who went ahead and purchased Louisiana more or less by fiat), and G. W. Bush (who was opposed to nation-building).

In a sense, it is does not matter whether a leader follows a plan or not. As long as the leader's instincts are good and he takes action, he may do some good. US Grant said that the important thing for general is to make up his mind and act quickly and decisively. Even a mistake is better than no action, and you can always undo a mistake and try another approach. Flexibility is vital. At Oglethorpe University (which happens to be a few blocks from my house) in May 1932 during the campaign FDR said:

"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. The millions who are in want will not stand by silently forever while the things to satisfy their needs are within easy reach."

http://newdeal.feri.org/speeches/1932d.htm

FDR had incredible personal charisma. He could charm anyone into doing anything, including countless Republicans. Churchill said that meeting him for the first time was like opening up your first bottle of champagne. Yet at the same time be opened up to no one. No one really knew him. He alienated his own children. After FDR's death, Eleanor Roosevelt described her relationship with him: "I think I sometimes acted as a spur, even though the spurring was not always wanted or welcome. I was one of those who served his purposes." That's a rather cold thing for a wife to say. My sense is that Obama shares this quality. He has said that a politician must be "reptilian" to some degree: reserved, inhuman, beyond ordinary emotions, fully trusting no one.