From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 2:37 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com; vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:OFF TOPIC News of the bailout

Remi Cornwall wrote (tongue-in-cheek no doubt):

>Tell me something, is a president of the USA largely titular like a British
>monarch or do they have real power. Is it government by cabinet or
>leader-centric?

This president is one of weakest in history, because it is close to
the end of his term and because he is highly unpopular. This is an
anomalous situation. I have never heard of a president losing two
thirds of his own party in a vote on an important bill, where the
other party actually supported it. There have been unpopular
presidents at the end of their terms, such as Truman, but they would
have lost both parties votes in a situation like this.

A leading Republican said yesterday this is not a lame-duck president
is a dead duck president.

There has seldom been such a critical situation at the very end of
the president's term. The closest two I can think of were 1860, at
the end of Buchanan's term, and 1932 at the close of Hoover's term.
Both were faced with a crisis, but unlike Bush, they did not suggest
any far-reaching solutions. They were paralyzed.

Hoover pleaded with FDR to issue a joint statement closing the banks,
but FDR refused saying (in effect) if you want to do that, do it
yourself on your own authority. As soon as he took over he did in
fact close the banks. But it was not political theater because the
other policies Hoover asked him to endorse were quite different from his
own.

This is an extraordinary moment in US history. The situation is a lot
more critical than most people realize, according to friends of mine
who understand something about economics.