On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Lawrence de Bivort wrote:
> The need to assert individual or group superiority, I would guess, is based
> on an actual sense of inferiority, and if an individual or a group doesn't
> have objective reasons to feel good about themselves the only alternative is
> to assert the inferiority of others....

If this is true, then skeptic organizations based on feelings of
inferiority would attract large numbers of insecure "wanna-be scientists,"
while a genuinely skeptical group would attract large numbers of actual
scientists.  Secure happy scientists would note the hate-politics of the
first group and have zero desire to participate.  I steal from Feynman:
they would've built a fake scientific organization, a fake runway hoping
to attract aircraft, but then discover that the planes wouldn't land.
Not a skeptic group at all, but a hate-group.  "CARGO-CULT SKEPTICISM."

Oh no, this applies to us too!

Am I a wanna-be scientist, no PhD, mainly driven by a need to find
"inferiors" to dehumanize?  Let's see.  Supposedly the greatest terror of
a racist is to have his daughter courted by one of "THEM."  So, suppose I
imagine that Morrison is going to marry my daughter?  Or instead, put his
"filthy CF-hating hands on her pro-CF, untarnished body?"  :)  Or Park?
Or Huizenga? Close?  No no no, RANDI!  Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci